International Sites   Help   Login

United Kingdom Edition

Member Forums    Economy & Currency    Bartering Post reply
 8-03-2009 07:40:01 PM
Andy
Andy
Administrator

I recently read a really cool article on bartering called "How to barter for everything" See: http://www.motherearthnews.com/Nature-Community/1993-02-01/How-To-Barter-For-Everything.aspx

This led me to researching bartering a bit more, and I've found there's a few websites out there than enable people to barter with each other for goods and services. U-Exchange is a good example.

Anyway, I thought it would be a pretty cool feature to have on Holistic Local, and so there is a new Bartering section in development.

I believe that as the economy tanks further and people have much less cash than they're used to, bartering for good and services will become much more common place. Anyway, I'd be interested to hear about anyone else's thoughts or experiences with bartering.

Thanks
Andy

Last edited: 8-03-2009 07:40:14 PM

10-03-2009 05:33:28 AM
anna
anna

Hi Andy

Absolutely, I'm up for that. I'm always telling folks I'll work for vegetables, firewood, chocolate, whatever's useful really. People are so squeamish though, like if it's not money they're not really paying. Bizarre.

Don't know why alternative economies freak people out so much, it's such a logical way to operate!

Count me in. And if anybody in Perthshire comes to my clinic with a box of fresh, organic veggies, you're guaranteed a treatment session!!

Anna x

10-03-2009 12:47:07 PM
Andy
Andy
Administrator

Thanks for your reply Anna, that sounds like a great trade. If I was in your area I'd be round quick as a flash with a huge box of organic veggies.

The more I think about it the more I realise that I've done quite a few trades in my life, where I've given my skills (usually in the sphere of web design and internet marketing) in exchange for something other than money.

Anyway, I'm interested in where this goes. Hopefully the new section will be up before the start of next week. It's pretty basic because I don't have the time or money to develop large new features. But I think it'll work ok, and can hopefully be improved in future.

Thanks
Andy

11-03-2009 02:56:48 PM
Ann
Ann

Yes, this is an excellent idea and very exciting! I think it would mean more to me than a money transaction.

To receive a box of organic vegetables or raw chocolate, another therapy, or anything else would be so lovely!

Ann :) x

11-03-2009 03:12:00 PM
Andy
Andy
Administrator

Ok for the people reading this forum, please help me test the new bartering section called Holistic Local Exchange.

You can use it to exchange pretty much anything you like (within ethical boundaries of course), including Items, professional services, skills and knowledge.

To add your own listing Go Here

To view and search listings (there's only my listing as I write this) Go Here

Any comments or feedback would be greatly appreciated. It's pretty simple because we don't have the time or resources to create anything that's feature rich, but it should do the trick for now.

Thanks
Andy

11-03-2009 08:13:35 PM
Neil
Neil

Namaste Andy,

Just wanted to say well done for setting this up.

I hope everybody will spread the word about it and that we'll see it grow.

Good job! :)

Om Shanti
Neil

12-03-2009 12:22:15 AM
Jon
Jon

You people annoy me, you set up this wonderful bartering idea, but your in England, damn.
I think this is great Andy, even though I'm in NZ.

Hey Andy, I just tried to add my details where it says click here, and the damn thing wouldn't recognise my website. Help.

Worse, there are no listings showing at all.

Last edited: 12-03-2009 12:29:00 AM

12-03-2009 12:39:52 PM
anna
anna

I just want to see the taxman's face as he reads this thread - mwa-ha-haaaaaa!

Andy, I can't get the listing to work either, sorry!!

It's brilliant though, this will be a winner.

Jon, get your butt over here, who wants to spend their days upside-down anyway??

:D

12-03-2009 09:25:13 PM
Andy
Andy
Administrator

ok, the problems should be fixed, so I would appreciate a few more listings if anyone's reading this. I'll be sending an email out next week to inform all members about it.

Jon, the service is available to NZ members, it's just that unfortunately we only have a few hundred members from NZ, so I guess it's hardly going to get used at the moment. Do you know of any power networkers in NZ that might be able to spread the word about HL to a large group of people?

Once again, the links are:

To add a listing Go Here

To view and search listings Go Here

Thanks
Andy

Last edited: 12-03-2009 09:26:05 PM

13-03-2009 01:52:57 AM
Jon
Jon

Anna, I live in GOD's country, why would I want to move?

Andy, I will see what I can do.

Great, I have added my listing.

Last edited: 13-03-2009 01:56:43 AM

13-03-2009 02:29:22 PM
anna
anna

Jon

you make a good point. You might be upside down but at least it's SUNNY!!

It's raining again, agh!

Okay, hold the plane, I'm coming over!

Anna :)

13-03-2009 08:43:08 PM
Andy
Andy
Administrator

Okay! The Holistic Local Exchange is now working and live for everyone to use. I would really appreciate it if everyone could add something, providing it's something you're willing to exchange of course. So don't be shy!

Many thanks to the few who have posted already.

Andy

11-12-2012 09:05:02 PM
detain
detain

Hence, it is important to take the services of a company that can not only provide you with everything you need as well as has market credibility and authenticity. The usualnorth face outlet online technologies come to aid and it is with the help of these that the north face outlet locations .Expansion of businessUpon attainment of the set objectives, the small business can increase its investments, manpower and productivity. Most of them are also installed with an internal circuit breaker in case of overworking of the motors to prevent damage to the puller.marketinglinx.

Displaying results 1 - 13 of 13 records found

Sponsored Links